Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Children are the Best Medicine 子供たちは一番の治療薬




(Flower leis given to me by my students at the Winter Holiday Show in last December)

About a week ago, I received an email from my friend.
It was to inform me that one of my dancer friends in Japan who was the same age as me passed away.
First, I could not believe it, and I could easily picture his face in my mind which I just saw about two weeks and half ago in Japan.

While I still could not believe it, my heart ached when I thought about how young he was and how sad his family, especially his parents must be.  I knew that we are connected through spirits, yet not being able to chat, laugh, and dance with him while he was in his body in this life time made miss him and made me feel sad. On the night I received this news, I only cried a bit; I think that a part of me still could not really understand what happened. The next morning, as the reality slowly sank in me, I cried a lot. In order to say a good bye and in order for me to move on with a smile on my face, I wanted to cry to have a funeral ceremony in my heart.

He said that he wanted to contribute to the world peace through dance. He had a very pure and honest heart. I strongly felt that I want to relay his intention. I was happy that I could continue to dance with him in my heart.

The following day, I went to work, but my heart was still heavy. However, it was amazing to witness myself opening up like a flower blossoming and my sadness melting away as I was surrounded by lovely 14 children. They were adorable as usual, and every single thing they did was sweet and cute. The first child who came to school was a girl, and her very first word came out of her mouth even before she said "Good morning!" was, "Akari, love is everywhere." Ah, what a timing!  Her word gave me enough fuel to start my day in a positive state. Seeing a 3-year-old boy trying to put his brand new shoes on and proudly standing up was cute. Seeing the eyes of the kids amused by something which I would not have noticed otherwise reminded me how beautiful this world is. Seeing them cry but laugh the next second reminded me to live in the present. Just holding them on my laps made my heart at ease. They were the best healing medicine ever!!  I truly witnessed how their full force of life gave me power and love, and I was such a different person by the end of the day. The world looked much brighter.  I strongly felt my mission and desire in life to protect and nurture these lovely children as well as joy to be blessed with this opportunity to do so.

After lunch, before I started to read a story, I told them that one of my friends in Japan passed away, and I was very sad, but because of them, I felt much better, and I thanked them. They were listening to me quietly, and one girl raised her hand and said, "Akari, he was ready to go."  Her word lingered in my heart and touched somewhere deep. Then, I said, "In a movie called 'Powder,' a man says, 'When people die, they can be seen everywhere.' I think so, too, so my friend is now in tree, sky, rain, and the ocean. I can see him anytime anywhere."  Then, a child said, "Now, he is in you, too." I felt the top of my nose was a bit painful (because I was about to cry).

It was a day that I was carried by the kids. I am very fortunate and appreciative to spend my everyday with these angels.

---------------------------------- Japanese ---------------------------



(先月の12月に学校の発表会で生徒たちにもらったお花の首飾り)

一週間程前のある晩、友達からメールが届きました。
日本にいる同い年のダンサーである友達が亡くなったという知らせでした。
最初は「えっ?」と信じられなくて、たったの二週間半ほど前に日本で再会してきたばかりの彼の顔が脳裏に容易に思い出されました。

突然の知らせに戸惑いつつも、まだまだ若くして逝かれた彼のこと、そして特に彼のご両親やご家族がどれだけ悲しい思いをされているかと思うと胸が痛みました。いくら魂と魂で繋がっていると思っても、もうこの世で身体を持って一緒に話したり、笑ったり、踊ったり出来ないのかと思うとやはり寂しく、悲しいものがありました。その知らせを受けたった晩はまだ信じられない部分があり、少ししか泣きませんでした。翌日の朝にその現実がしっかりと胸に入ってきて、彼にさよならを言うために、これからしっかり顔を上げて歩いていくためのけじめと思い、しっかり泣きました。

彼は踊りを通して世界の平和に貢献していきたいと言っていました。とても真っ直ぐで純粋な心の持ち主でした。私はその彼の願いをしっかりと引き継いでいきたいと強く思いました。これからも彼とはずっと一緒に踊り続けていけることを嬉しく思います。

翌々日は仕事でしたが、少し重い気持ちで学校に着きました。しかし、14人の子供たちに囲まれているうちに、私の心が花咲くように開き、悲しみで固まっていた部分が溶けていくのを感じました。彼らの一挙一動は本当に愛らしく、見ているうちに元気がモリモリ出てきました。一番最初に登校してきた女の子が「おはよう」を言う前に、一番最初に言ってくれたことが、「アカリ(アメリカの学校では先生のことを下の名前で呼びぶこともあります)、愛はどこにでもあるね!」でした。あぁ、何と言うタイミングでしょう。その言葉を聞いて、あぁ、今日も一日大丈夫だと思えました。3歳の男の子が新しい靴を自分で履けたときの誇らしげな顔、私一人ではきっと気付かなかったであろうものに魅了されている子供たちの目に、生きることってこんなにも美しいんだということを思い出させてもらいました。泣いた鳥がもう笑うように、泣いても一分後にはケラケラと底抜けに笑っている子供たちを見て、現在(いま)に生きることの大切さを思い出させてもらいました。子供たちを膝の上に乗せて抱っこしているだけで、心がふわーっとしていくのが分かりました。子供ほど癒しに効く薬はないのではないかと思えるほどでした。子供にみなぎる凝縮された生命力に沢山の力と愛をもらいました。世界がもっと輝いて見えました。そしてそんな愛しい彼らをしっかりと守り育てていく使命感と、そんな素晴らしいお仕事をさせて頂ける喜びを強く感じました。

学校が終わる頃には、私は朝と比べると別人のようでした。一日の終わりに、「一昨日、先生の日本にいる大切なお友達が亡くなりました。先生はとても悲しかったのだけど、今日みんなから沢山の元気をもらいました。だからありがとうを言いたいと思います。ありがとう。」と話をしました。皆、静かに聞いていました。そしてある子が手を挙げてこう言いました。「アカリ、彼は逝く用意が出来ていたのよ。」その言葉を聞いて、「そうか。そうか、そうか・・・。」と胸の深くを打たれました。それから「Powderという映画で、主人公が人が亡くなるとその人の存在はこの世界の全てのものに宿るんだと言っていました。先生もそう思います。だから、先生のお友達は木にもなったし、空にもなったし、雨にもなったし、海にもなったんだと思います。これからはどこでも会えます。」と言いました。するとある子は、「そして彼は今、先生の一部になったんだね。」と言いました。それを聞いて鼻の頭がツーンと痛くなるのを感じました。

子供たちに助けられまくりの一日でした。そしてこのような天使たちに毎日囲まれて過ごしている私は本当に幸せ者で、有難いことだと心から思いました。

2 comments:

Loren said...

Little sister, you are such a wonderful and sweet person. May God bless you today and forever more...loren

Akari Ueoka said...

Chiharu has left:
素晴らしいお話を シェアしてくれてありがとう。
子供達は 本当に まっすぐで 感性が豊かで
子供達の言葉は 天とつながっていると いつも
思います。たくさんの 天使さんたちに 囲まれ
良かったね。これからも ステキなお話
聞かせて 下さい。