Thursday, April 28, 2011

Skill and Will to Imagine 想像するためのスキルと意識

A Japanese newspaper wrote about our fundraiser (for Japan) on Maui.
マウイでの日本のための寄金集めのことが、日本の新聞に
載りました。
Since the earthquake, I’ve been feeling and thinking about various things.

49 days have passed.

For people who have been working hard to ease the situation from outside might have felt 49 days passed very quickly. For people who have been directly affected and being in the situation might have felt each day as a torture; hence, 49 days might have been felt months for them.

In Hawaii, since it is geographically close to Japan, and there are many Japanese people as well as many Japanese descents are living here, even today people seem to continue to have a solid attention on Japan’s situation. Since the earthquake, there has been at least one if not more fundraising event every weekend.

Right after the earthquake, I was visiting the U.S. mainland. What I noticed was as I physically distanced from Japan, people’s attention on Japan seemed to lessen. Probably it cannot be helped. No matter how technology advanced, and information can circulate the world rapidly, we humans can only emphasize with pain of others when our “imagination” is activated. At places where Japan is still very much “foreign,” the materials for imagination are probably lacking. I was in the U.S. mainland for about 6 days, so by the time I was heading back to Hawaii, over a week has passed since the earthquake. Every day I was watching and reading news from diverse sources to keep up with Japan’s situation, and the more I learned, the more I knew how serious the situation was and was going to be. As I sat back in my airplane seat and wondered, “Now, what can I do?” I heard a family happily conversing, “When we get to Hawaii, we should go to beach first. Oh, we cannot forget to check out shopping malls, too!” Their delightedness did not bother me, and of course I had no slight will to censure their excitement. Probably it was their long awaited family trip. It might be their first visit to Hawaii. They must have worked hard to save money. They might not even know that there was a huge earthquake in Japan. If they did hear something, maybe for them, it was just another earthquake somewhere in Asia.

However, I could not help to questioned myself, “What is this difference?” and the question sat with me. At that very moment, there were thousands of people who lost their loved ones, homes, and everything, and on the other hand, there was a family getting excited for their vacation. Both worlds existing simultaneously with such gap in between intrigued me, and there was a quiet part of me that accepted it as it was. At the same time, I noticed the fact that I was caring about Japan even more because it is the country where I was born and came from. I wondered if I cared that much if it was not Japan. Did I care the same way when Haiti had the earthquake last January 2010? I don’t think so. The only thing I knew was Haiti was a country that is located somewhere between North America and South America. After the earthquake, I looked at the map and learned where exactly it was. And I even did not know what people in Haiti looked like. Like I wrote earlier, I did not have enough "materials" to use my imagination to respond to their suffering. Rather than learning their location on the world map, I did not put any more effort to collect “imagination-activation materials.” Whether it was conscious or unconscious, I decided to cut off my effort there. I think I was not thinking too much about it. Did I do anything to help people in Haiti? No. I only attended one event that was organized by my American friend, and I donated a very small amount of money which was like a drop on a hot baked stone. However, when it comes to my country, I am eagerly helping any event I can go and am even trying to put together one myself. If I extend my thoughts a bit further, it is obvious that Japan is not the only country that is suffering now. Wars, terrorisms, famine, illness, natural disasters… There are so many issues in the world. Because I did not pay much attention to those in the past, I felt ashamed of myself for all of sudden frantically asking for help when the problem was directly affecting my country. The family in the plane was mirroring myself…

However, being ashamed does not help anyone or anything, so I stopped being so, and I decided to do my best to help rebuilding Japan. It is like getting sick makes us understand what sick people are going through. Through feeling my own country’s pain, I find myself becoming extra sensitive to other countries’ pain. Due to the earthquake, I think my imagination skill was enhanced. Of course, it is impossible to own every problem in this world, and if I am paying too much attention on “pain,” I would end up giving hand to increase the negative energy in this world, and it won’t be much help to the world, so I need to remember to balance. While I believe that this world is filled with beauty no matter what, and I fill myself up with light, I would like to educate myself, so that my deed may be some help to ease some pain and fill this world with light.

----------------------------- Japanese ------------------------

あの地震、津波から色々なことを感じ、考えている。

49日が経った。

状態を少しでも改良しようと、外から一生懸命働きかけておられる方にとっては、あっという間の49日だったかもしれない。事態の最中におられる方には、一日一日が拷問のように長い49日だったかもしれない。

ハワイは地理的にも日本に近く(ある意味、太平洋を隔てて日本の隣)、日本人が多く住んでいたり、日系アメリカ人が多いせいか、日本の状況への関心は今でも強くあるように見られる。地震後、毎週末どこかしらで寄金集めのためのイベントが開催されている。

地震直後にアメリカ本土に旅をする機会があったので気づいたのは、日本から距離的に離れていくにつれ、関心は薄まっていったということだ。仕方ないのであろう。いくら情報が瞬時に地球を一周するようになった現代でも、人間は「想像力」をもってしてこそ、人々の痛みや悲しさを共感できるというもの。日本がまだまだ「異国」の地域では、想像するための材料が乏しいのだろう。アメリカ本土に滞在していたのは6日間ほど。ハワイに戻ってくる頃には、丁度地震から一週間と少し経ったという頃だった。毎日インターネット上でニュースを見たり読んだりして、出来るだけ日本の状況に追いついて行くようにしていた。そうして、知れば知るほど、「日本が大変なことになっている、またこれから更に大変になっていく」とつくづく感じていた。飛行機の席に深く座り、「さぁ、これから私に何が出来るか」と思慮している傍で、「ハワイに着いたら、まずビーチに行こう!ショッピングも楽しみだね。」とウキウキと話している家族連れの会話が聞こえてきた。彼らの浮かれ具合を不愉快に思うことは全くなかった。もちろん責める気持ちも無かった。きっと彼らにとっては待ちに待った家族旅行なのだろう。初めてのハワイかもしれない。(アメリカ本土に住む人にとっても、日本人と同じくハワイは憧れのバケーション地。)一生懸命お金を貯めて、やっとやってきたのだろう。日本の地震に関しては「地震がどこかアジアの国であったんだなぁ」という程度の情報しか得なかったのかもしれない。もしくは全く知らないかもしれない。

しかし、私の中で「この差は何なんだろう?」という思いが深く渦巻いていた。この同じ地球上のある地域では、今まさに家族を失い、家を失い、全てを失い途方に暮れている人々が万単位で出てきている一方で、ハワイでのバカンスに心を躍らせる家族。同時に存在しているその両者のギャップを目の前に、世界とはこういうものなのだなぁと、静かに受け入れる自分もいた。それと同時に、自分の祖国だから余計に気になっているというのも事実だろうと気付き、これが他の国だったらどうだろうと考えた。昨年の一月に起こったハイチ地震のときにはこれほど気にしただろうか。正直言ってしていなかったと思う。ハイチが南アメリカ大陸のちょっと上辺りにある程度の知識しか持ち合わせてなかった。一体どこにあるのか、地震があってやっと地図で見て知った。そしてハイチに住む人々がどのような容姿をしているのかさえ知らなかった。まさしく、先ほど言った通り、彼らの惨状を想像するための根本的な材料に欠けていたのである。そして地図で場所を学ぶ以上の「材料集め」をしなかった。私は努力をそこで絶つことを、意識的にであれ無意識的にであれしたのだ。あまり考えていなかったと思う。何か支援金を募るための運動を積極的にしただろうか?何もしなかった。自分から声をかけることも無かった。アメリカ人の友人の企画したイベントに一度だけ参加し、焼け石に一滴の水のような寄付をしただけだ。それが自分の国となると、積極的に寄金集めのイベントに参加し、自らもイベントを起こそうとまでしている。よく考えれば、辛い思いをしているのは日本だけではない。紛争やテロ、飢饉や病気、自然災害。世界には様々な問題がある。それを知っていながらあまり関心を示して来なかった分、自分の身に降りかかって初めて躍起になって、周りの人たちに援助の手を差し伸べてくれてと頼んでいる自分を恥じもした。飛行機に乗り合わせた家族は私自身の鏡でもあったのだ・・・。

しかし、恥じているだけでは誰の助けにもならない。恥じるのを止め、まずは日本の復興に向け、出来る限りの力を注ごうと決意した。病を患ってこそ、病人の苦難が分かるようなものだ。世界が抱えている他の痛みに今までよりも敏感になっている自分を発見する。この地震を通し、「想像力」が増したのだと思う。もちろん、世界全ての問題を自分の肩に背負い込むことは無理だし、「痛み」ばかりに意識を集中し過ぎると、負のエネルギーに加担してしまい、世界全体から見れば助けにはなっていないだろうから、そこは上手にバランスを取らないといけない。何があろうとそれでもこの世界は美しさに溢れていることを念頭に、自分自身を光で満たしながら、世界の痛みが少しでも癒え、光で満たされるよう私に出来ることをさせて頂こうと思う。

No comments: